Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Black Expressions Book Club Review

My friend and I joined Black Expressions last year for a few months to get a different perspective on what we were reading. As I mentioned before, I'm an avid reader and I just hadn't explored this area of fiction. We found a lot of interesting reads (and at good prices.) Blackexpressions showed us what was popular and worthwhile at the same time.

About Black Expressions Bookclub



Black Expressions has current and classic African-American fiction plus a over 400 titles in hot topics such as heritage & culture, inspiration/religion, health and beauty, relationships, cooking and home, career and personal finance, self-help, kid's books and more. Black Expressions was voted "Book Club of the Year" at the 2004 African American Literary Awards Show held in Harlem, New York.

Types of Books

  • Bargains
  • Biography/Memoir
  • Christian Living
  • Classics Library
  • Cooking & Nutrition
  • Fiction
  • Heritage & Culture
  • Inspiration
  • Kids Corner
  • Living Well
  • Merchandise
  • Money & Finance
  • Mystery
  • Psychology/Self-help
  • Under the Covers


African-American Books and Authors



Blackexpressions has a lot of brand-name African-American authors like Eric Jerome Dickey, Diane McKinney-Whetstone, Walter Mosley, Van Whitfield, Connie Briscoe and Maya Angelou. Club members can check out newer authors like R.M. Johnson, Rosalyn Carrington, and Helen Elaine Lee. The club aslo has "Classics": Black Expressions brings authors back such as James Baldwin, Chester Himes, Langston Hughes, and Margaret Walker. Current featured books include A Hand to Guide Me by Denzel Washington, She Ain't the One by Carl Weber and Mary B. Morrisson, and Love is Never Painless by Zane. etc.


Book Club Deals



Usually Black Expressions Bookclub offers 5 books for $2 plus a free tote bag. Add shipping and handling--$14.95! So you're getting 5 books for about $15 bucks total--$3 a book is a good deal. The tote bag was okay. We used it for grocery shopping instead of using up paper bags. You do have to buy 4 books over two years, but you can get them pretty cheap, around $8-$10 each. Get one extra one when you first sign up for $5.99, to cut down the commitment. So what you do is buy them all after you get your first shipment, so you save on the shipping, and your commitment to Black Expressions bookclub's done.

How to Join BlackExpressions Bookclub



Black Expressions Book Club website:

* http://www.blackexpressions.com/


Tags: , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Verydissatisfied2011 said...

I joined Black Expressions over a year ago. The selections of books are not that great. I had gotten behind on my payment for the three additional books but I have paid it and still haven't received my books. Although, I have been promised twice that my selections will be mailed to me. I paid this account in full February 2011 and it is now August. I sent an email this morning and I hope someone can keep there word and send my selections. I would never recommend Black Expressions to anyone. The same selections are cheaper in your local bookstore or @ Walmart.